Friday, November 6, 2009

There was this one time...

...when my neighbor and I planned to put on a show centered around Mariah Carey's Daydream album.



The plan was: we'd play the CD. One of us would pretend to hold a microphone and sing along. The other would dance her little heart out, using the stairs liberally as a prop.

We'd do this for each of the 12 songs on the album.

Our parents would watch each number with delight. The best-spent hour of their lives.

But then I realized that there were some flaws in our plan:

1. Our dancing wasn't that good.
2. Neither was our singing.
3. Nobody would be interested in our ill-rehearsed show.

So I called it off.

My neighbor's name was Michelle Farmer, but we secretly called her Michelle Fahma because her parents were from England and that was how they said their last name. After my dad met Mr. Farmer, he reported this conversation to us:

Mr. Farmer: "I'm ____ Fahma." [I don't remember his first name. I was 9ish.]
My dad: "Fahma?"
Mr. Farmer: "No, FAHMA."
My dad: "Fahma?"

7 comments:

Chrissie said...

Hmmm...this makes me wonder if any English people have accidentally written our president's name like this: "Obamer."

P.S. My friends and I had a similar idea for a show, but it was based on the Spice Girls.

Jules AF said...

I loved singing Mariah Carey when I was younger.

Jesse said...

I'm pretty sure my sister and I, and two friends, put on that show. Only it was before Mariah's time. Can't for the life of me remember who we danced to.

The Grady's said...

so you did that too? My CD of choice was with the Top Gun soundtrack or the MJ Thriller album...we never performed it, but we sure did practice...in leotards and everything!

David Sven said...

HA!

Dave said...

David Sven- No you mean Hahma!

Dani -It is so great that you recall my conversations better than I do.AND your recollection is so accurate. Speaks to how impressionable children are. You also are able to memorize Library card numbers so much better than I. 2 11 50 or something.

Lovely!

Dad the grandson of a wheat fahma

just call me jo said...

I laughed so hard over "Fahma..." What great endings of your blogs. So terse and concise. Nothing wasted.