Friday, November 14, 2008

So.

So, this is just to say: if you're starting conversations/blog posts with the word "so," I'm onto you.

"So I've been thinking about coloring my hair purple."
"So my uncle was recently arrested for murder."
"So I just wanted to mention that I recently secretly married a Portuguese model."

Yes. I get it. It sounds more casual. You are just WAITING to be interrupted with someone saying, "wait--WHAT??" and maybe laughing in disbelief at your debonair approach to the situation.

I'm not going to deny it: I do it all the time.

Also:

This is Just to Say

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox
and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet

and so cold
























And:

This is Just to Say

I chopped down the house that you had been saving to live in
next summer.
I am sorry, but it was morning, and I had nothing to do
and its wooden beams were so inviting.

7 comments:

Jules AF said...

So I'm probably guilty of this, but I don't care....

Bear said...

that was random.

Andy Bourne said...

I think a lot of us were lost after about the "I ate your plums" part. Did you really chop down my summer home? Because that might be worse news than it seems on the surface.

Dani said...

am I to understand that not everyone recognizes the famous "this is just to say" poem when they see it? William Carlos Williams? plums? come on. people write parodies of it all the time, including the one about the summer home that I chopped down.

LJ said...

I DID! I recognized it. I did.

Chrissie said...

I feel like a dolt for not knowing about William Carlos Williams.

Kristina said...

I love that WCW poem. Other poets like writing about WCW too.